Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sean DS

Kept getting Error code 630 when I tried to activate my Turbo Tax 2022

I've been a TT customer for 10+ years and never had any problem with installing and activating TT software with CDs I purchased.  This year was the first time I ran into a pestering message of "There was an error with validating your license code, please try again.  Error code 630".  Truth be told, I installed both business and personal-premier software.  No problem at all when activating the business TT software.  However, after installing the personal - premier software, I first updated it when prompted, then tried to launch it when I was prompted with entering the license code.  I entered the code exactly as printed on the CD jacket and then clicked "activate" and that was when I got the above error message.  What gives?  I rebooted the computer and tried again, same error message.  Totally frustrated!  Please help.  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

See this FAQ for issues with your error code 630. Be sure to read the entire FAQ as it has information on how to contact TurboTax at the very bottom if your issue remains unresolved. 

Sean DS

Thank you ee-ea.  The FAQ didn't help.  But I did read one comment (maybe two) on the community board that mentioned the renaming of the previous Turbo Tax program files as a way to solve the error problem.  That eventually was the right path for me.  Granted, I didn't figure it out by myself.  I was able to get a hold of a customer service rep who helped walk through it.  In a nutshell, you either have to un-install all previously installed TT software programs (for me, I had them all the way back to 2012), or simply rename each program file.  There are two folders you would have to go into to do the renaming.  I have an HP desktop with Microsoft Edge as the Op System.  You would go into PC's C driver:  1. C: > Program Files (x86) >TurboTax, in which you renamed all the previously installed TT program files (you simply add a digit or an alphabet to the existing names);  2. Then C: > Users > Your use name > AppData > Roaming > Intuit > TurboTax, inside which you renamed all the previously installed TT files.  With both done, you uninstalled your current year TT software to wipe it clean, then re-install it afresh according to the prompts.  After updating the software and presented with a prompt to enter license code, you enter it and make sure all numbers/alphabets in the code are correct.  Click Activate and, viola!  Good luck! 

Special thanks to Marcus the rep who had patiently walked through the process with me, through a few trials and errors.  Compared with my customer service experience yesterday when the lady simply told me that the CD I bought was defective and I should go back to the store to get a replacement, which nonetheless didn't work,  it was quite a contrast in terms of knowledge, expertise, patience and attitude.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies