Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

WSO
Level 3

K-1 (Section L) Capital Account Updating in Turbo Tax

Do I need to manually update K-1 worksheets in Turbo Tax (Windows version)  to reflect Partner's Capital account changes?  Some of the K-1s sent to me for my private equity LLC investments have changes in K-1 section L (capital account analysis).  Specifically the beginning capital account, current year loss, and a lower ending capital account. Turbo tax doesn't prompt me to enter these updates. Should I go into the TT K-1 forms worksheets and manually update these cells to reflect?  (The same thing occurred in 2022, but I didn't manually update). 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Turbotax doesn't use sections J through L on the K-1 for anything, nor is it included in your e-filing. if you omitted them completely from your tax return, no harm would be done. This is also true for Part III box 19 since Turbotax does not track basis or at-risk amounts and there are many items In Part III box 20 that are not used for anything.

so why does Turbotax have these items? - probably because taxpayers would worry that they are omitting important info. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Turbotax doesn't use sections J through L on the K-1 for anything, nor is it included in your e-filing. if you omitted them completely from your tax return, no harm would be done. This is also true for Part III box 19 since Turbotax does not track basis or at-risk amounts and there are many items In Part III box 20 that are not used for anything.

so why does Turbotax have these items? - probably because taxpayers would worry that they are omitting important info. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies