Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

marklos

K-1 How To Multiple Pass Through Entities?

On my K-1 I have multiple pass-through entities but when entering info on TurboTax it only let's me add one of the pass-throughs for the particular K-1.  How do I address this?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

K-1 How To Multiple Pass Through Entities?

if there is a schedule breaking down each line on the k-1 for each entity you prepare a separate k-1 for each. However, I warn you this can be a real pain if the entity is disposed of because then you'll need to enter disposal info for each which generally is not provided.    I had this issue with a PTP that consisted of multiple sub-PTP-entities. By law each PTP stands on its own. The business loss of one can't be used to offset the business income of another. The first page of the master k-1 was stamped "Do Not Use Part III Information - See Supplemental K-1 Information Statement." All was fine and good until I sold it. Then the disposal supplemental worksheet just gave a total for the aggregate PTP. No separate details breaking down among the sub-entities was provided but to properly reflect everything, disposal info needed to be entered for all so the suspended passive losses would be released. I figured out a work-around. I For one client, I had a master PTP that invested in other PTPs. in total it invested in over 50 PTPs which meant entries for over 50 K-1s. The client was not happy with the bill, so I told them talk to their broker who put them in it obviously without knowing the reporting requirements. They filed a complaint with the brokerage (they were in their 80s) and eventually change brokerages. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies