Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pria25

I’m married & I gifted my mom a little over the allowed amount of $15k. Do I need to file the gift tax return? Isn’t the annual exclusion for married couples $30k?

Mom is primary care provider of disabled dad. I’m not sure if this can qualify for medical support since she pays for his medical bills with this money. The gift tax form is a bit complicated and from what I’m reading it appears that if you are married you are allowed an annual exclusion amount of $30k.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

I’m married & I gifted my mom a little over the allowed amount of $15k. Do I need to file the gift tax return? Isn’t the annual exclusion for married couples $30k?

The annual gift exclusion for 2018 is $15,000 per donor to each donee. If you are married, you can gift your mother up to $30,000 and are not required to file a gift return (form 709).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
pria25

Thanks!
pria25

Just to clarify, does this amount have to be sent from a joint account to qualify for the annual exclusion amount of 30k ? We don’t have a joint account.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies