Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Just married and Pregnant- taking time off unpaid when I have the baby, how do I file jointly?

Hi in a few months I will be taking at least 3 months off of work with no maternity leave pay. I will also be cutting down to one part time job following. We just got married in March and want to file jointly. Do I use my AGI from last year still to fill out my new W-4's?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
mtran7
Expert Alumni

Just married and Pregnant- taking time off unpaid when I have the baby, how do I file jointly?

Hello Edel23!

Congratulations on your marriage and your child on the way!

You and your spouse can file jointly when you file your 2023 tax return regardless of what is on your W4 but if you want to make changes to the W4 you can claim married but I wouldn't add the dependent unless they will be born in 2023. If the child will not be born until 2024 you can wait to change the W4 until then. Either way you decide you can still file jointly with your spouse.

Here is an article you might want to check out:  https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/marriage/getting-married/L0DvEUlEC

Also if the child will be born in 2023 you get the whole year of tax deductions even if they are born on Dec 31st. Check out this article for more info:  https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/family/birth-of-a-child/L26LBBTkd

Hope this helps! 

rschule1
Expert Alumni

Hi There

Congratulation on the wedding and addition to the family. When you go back to work, complete new W4, section 2b.  multiple jobs work sheet for you and your spouse.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies