Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tmkopinsk

Just got married on 1/7/17. Already went to Social Security and Secretary of State (driver's license) and changed my last name. 2016 records have maiden name- what to do?

Under personal info which name do I use?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Just got married on 1/7/17. Already went to Social Security and Secretary of State (driver's license) and changed my last name. 2016 records have maiden name- what to do?

Your married name. But you cannot file as married for 2016, since you were still single on 12/31/2016.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Your married name. But you cannot file as married for 2016, since you were still single on 12/31/2016.

tmkopinsk

Thank you!

The name mismatch on your tax forms is not an issue ... what is an issue is the time it will take for the IRS to get the word from SS of the name change ... a process that can take up to 8 weeks ( you should have filed your return BEFORE you started changing everything).  You will have to use your new name even though you will not be filing a joint 2016 tax return so expect a delay in getting the return accepted.  You can try to efile once a week until the new name is accepted  OR  you can mail in the return (no guarantee that it will be accepted with the mismatch). 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies