wcunningham

Just curious as to why my tax returns were almost a third of last years when they've been pretty consistent the last 4 or 5. I went from >1000 to < 300 dollars.

Just using standard deductions and a minimal increase in wages.

Hal_Al

I suggest you lay last year's return next to this year's and do a line by line comparison to see what's changed. Otherwise you haven't provided enough info for anyone to answer your question. In the on-line version of TurboTax, the  main Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ can be seen through Tools, View Tax Summary, Preview My 1040 or  go to Print Center and then choose to Preview.

It depends on many variables: the biggest are

1) how big your AGI is
2) filing status
3) how many dependents you have.
4) what deductions and credits to you qualify for
5) withholdings

In particular, the Earned income credit is on steep bell curve. On the up slope less income means less EIC. On the down slope more income means less EIC. See http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/briefing-book/key-elements/family/eitc.cfm

Hal_Al

1) how big your AGI is
2) filing status
3) how many dependents you have.
5) withholdings

wcunningham

Thanks.  Looks like my withheld was higher last year for some reason.