Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

It is showing that I didn't answer that my son lived withme for the year. What can I do if I already filed.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

It is showing that I didn't answer that my son lived withme for the year. What can I do if I already filed.

Unless your return is rejected by the IRS, your only option is to file an amendment AFTER your return has been processed by the IRS AND you have received your refund.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes to your tax return and re-submit your return. 

However, f the IRS accepts your return,  then you have to wait longer until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return and mail it in. You will need to use a form called 1040X, which can be prepared for free in TurboTax. You cannot e-file an amended return.  

A 1040X has to be mailed, and it takes 2-4 months for the IRS to process an amended return.  Meanwhile, DO NOT go in and change anything on your return in the system, or you will make a mess for yourself.  Please wait until you see what the IRS does with the return you just e-filed before proceeding.

Instructions for amending 2017 will be available in early February 2018.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Unless your return is rejected by the IRS, your only option is to file an amendment AFTER your return has been processed by the IRS AND you have received your refund.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes to your tax return and re-submit your return. 

However, f the IRS accepts your return,  then you have to wait longer until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return and mail it in. You will need to use a form called 1040X, which can be prepared for free in TurboTax. You cannot e-file an amended return.  

A 1040X has to be mailed, and it takes 2-4 months for the IRS to process an amended return.  Meanwhile, DO NOT go in and change anything on your return in the system, or you will make a mess for yourself.  Please wait until you see what the IRS does with the return you just e-filed before proceeding.

Instructions for amending 2017 will be available in early February 2018.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies