Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I didn't file my 2016 tax yet and need to do both 2016 and 2017. Before I sign up using TurboTax, how should I go about it? Does TT help me file both at same time?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
CathyB

I didn't file my 2016 tax yet and need to do both 2016 and 2017. Before I sign up using TurboTax, how should I go about it? Does TT help me file both at same time?

You will need to prepare each return separately and, yes, TurboTax can help you prepare each return. You will need to decide which TurboTax product you would like to use.

To prepare the 2016 return, see our TurboTax FAQ below which contains information on how to do that.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301770

To prepare the 2017 return, you can start directly from our website at www.turbotax.com or purchase a CD/download to use the desktop version. Below is a link that has our products comparison page that also has a link to start your return.

TurboTax products

You also asked if TurboTax can help you file both at the same time, however, e-file is no longer available for returns for tax year 2016. You will need to print and mail in that return.

The filing options for the 2017 return will be e-filing or Print and Mail. 

Thanks! Do I need to do 2016 first or any order in particular?
CathyB

It depends. If you expect to owe taxes, 2016 is already late, but you have an opportunity between now and April 17th, to prepare and submit your 2017 return on time and pay any taxes owed for 2017. However, if you don't expect to owe taxes it would be beneficial to work on your 2016 first so that 1. if you have a carryover to 2017 it would be part of your return; and 2. you can then import your 2016 information to your 2017 return and that will save you time.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies