turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is this a joke? TT Business to file for an estate does not include the basic ability to import data from broker?

I can't believe I spent $180 for a product that doesn't have a basic functionality that's found in personal TT. The broker did not file a 1099-B, even though there were transactions (small, but not inconsequential). I was able to import the 1099-B data into a working-copy of my personal taxes, showing basis, date sold, etc. - but shouldn't this be possible in the Business product? If not - why not??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Is this a joke? TT Business to file for an estate does not include the basic ability to import data from broker?

TurboTax Business does not support the import of data from brokers and other forms.  If you have a large number of transactions to report, you can report summary totals by category.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@anastrophe wrote:

.......The broker did not file a 1099-B,......

If there was no 1099-B issued to the estate, then what, exactly, are you trying to import?

The 1099-Composite included - as is often the case - a 'year end summary', and it clearly states that 'this information is not provided to the IRS, but you may need the information to complete your tax return'. Since I'm not a tax guru, and not an expert on estate filing, I took them at their word. The information that I imported from the broker into my personal turbotax included form 8948 and a 1099-b worksheet with assorted details such as date acquired/date sold for basis, etc.

The overriding issue to me is why one of the most expensive products intuit sells, that's marketed for business and estate filing, excludes functionality that's in most of their personal products, and that I would think would be helpful in the Business product.

I agree completely! I use turbotax busness for trusts which have stock sales with much data on lots and cost basis.  In turbotax individual, I can easily import from my broker, but not in business!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies