Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My Box 1 (total wages) is completely blank. However my Box 3 (social security wages), Box 4 (SS tax withheld), Box 5 (Medicare wages), Box 6 (Medicare tax withheld) all have amounts in them.

When inputting all this data, the system asks me if I'm sure, because my Medicare wages are much higher than my Box 1 wages - which are literally 0. Has this occurred for anyone else before?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My Box 1 (total wages) is completely blank. However my Box 3 (social security wages), Box 4 (SS tax withheld), Box 5 (Medicare wages), Box 6 (Medicare tax withheld) all have amounts in them.

It sounds like your employer made a mistake.  Box 1 should include your wages plus your tips minus any pre-tax payroll deductions like health insurance.  If you have no pre-tax deductions, box 1 will equal box 3 and 5.

You have two choices.  You can contact your employer for a corrected form, and file the automatic extension request so you won't be counted as filing late.  Or, you can enter what you think the box 1 number should have been, and check the box for "substitute W-2" on the page of special circumstances after you enter the numbers.  Using the substitute W-2 form may result in the IRS sending you a letter asking why, so make sure you keep all your documentation of your wages and tips. 

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Is there anything unusual about your job or your paychecks?  A person could be exempt from income tax (box 1 wages = zero) but still pay social security and medicare tax if all their income was put into pre-tax benefits like health insurance premiums, pre-tax retirement account, flexible spending account, health savings account.  There may be some cases where employees of international organizations like the U.N. or certain corporations might be exempt from income tax but still subject to social security.  Or, it could be a mistake by your employer.

I'm a server but all my tips are reported, so I assumed there would be some wage listed in the box. It seems as though my entire year's wage is in my "medicare wages" box, but both box 1 and 2 are completely blank. And none of the pre-tax benefits apply to me.
m0-turb0

Same happened to me too. I called my employer they said it is because I am a home service provider and I take care of my mom and she lives with me that is the reason. IRS wants me to mail my returns with W-2 forms attached and I am not eligible for e-file, so I just mailed it today hopefully they accept it.

Home service is a special situation I'm not familiar with.  It is true that you can't e-file with box 1 wages blank or zero, but I think it is correct that your wages are not taxable when taking care of a relative.

I'm in the same situation (boxes 1 and 2 blank), and the employer is no longer an entity. I filed an extension so I could consult and try to resolve the issue.

It sounds like your employer made a mistake.  Box 1 should include your wages plus your tips minus any pre-tax payroll deductions like health insurance.  If you have no pre-tax deductions, box 1 will equal box 3 and 5.

You have two choices.  You can contact your employer for a corrected form, and file the automatic extension request so you won't be counted as filing late.  Or, you can enter what you think the box 1 number should have been, and check the box for "substitute W-2" on the page of special circumstances after you enter the numbers.  Using the substitute W-2 form may result in the IRS sending you a letter asking why, so make sure you keep all your documentation of your wages and tips. 

I have that issue this year
I called the employer and because I am a health care provider for a relative, they don't list wages in Box 1 but it is taxable in Box 3 for Medicare.

Shaust

We had the same problem.  Neither box 1 or 2 had anything in it on my husband’s W2.  It had an amount in box 12 tho.  I thought it was a mistake but it turns out because the W2 is from long-term disability payments.  Still freaky..... like we’re doing something wrong.

Jdtovar1120
Returning Member

I am having the exact same problem!  Boxes 1 and 2 are blank on my W-2. Box 12 is also blank.  I'm a PSW for my daughter.  I cannot e-file, which is frustrating.  I don't want to get in trouble with the IRS. What should I do? Is it an error? Do I have snail mail it? Do I type in box 1 what is listed in box 3?

Another question I have is, when having to show proof of income to say DOE or social security, is your income countable, since your not paying federal taxes on it?

@Jdtovar1120 wrote:

I am having the exact same problem!  Boxes 1 and 2 are blank on my W-2. Box 12 is also blank.  I'm a PSW for my daughter.  I cannot e-file, which is frustrating.  I don't want to get in trouble with the IRS. What should I do? Is it an error? Do I have snail mail it? Do I type in box 1 what is listed in box 3?

Another question I have is, when having to show proof of income to say DOE or social security, is your income countable, since your not paying federal taxes on it?

What is the W-2 for?      What boxes have entries - anything in box 12?     Is it a W-2C form?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Jdtovar1120
Returning Member

I'm a personal support worker for my adult daughter.

Box 3 &5 have: 26829.70

Box 4 has: 1663.46

Box 6: 389.05

Box 14: other 16.19 WBF

Box 12 is blank

And it's a standard W-2

myparents

Similar situation - W-2 Box 1 "blank", Box 3 and 4 "tax withheld". 

My question: Isn't this still an Earned and Taxable Income? 

Base on the IRS rules, shouldn't I be able to contribute to IRA?!  TurboTax suggest Not qualified to contribute to IRA since Box 1 is "blank"?!  Please kindly advise.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can't report a W-2 with no amount in Box 1.  The Efile will be rejected.

Therefore, you have no Earned Income (from this W-2 anyway) to contribute to an IRA

What type of income do you earn?  If you could clarify, there may be a way to report your Earned Income in another way.

@myparents

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies