Is there any way I can get my w-2 before my job mails it out

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dbrat999

3 Replies
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Possibly.  That would depend on your employer and the payroll provider that they use.   

Some (many) W-2s can be imported directly into TurboTax once they become available.  Importing your W-2 may be available sooner than a printed copy comes to you in the mail.  Employers have until the end of January to issue W-2s.  NO W-2s are available for import yet.   

See the information included in the TurboTax FAQ below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3389204

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***
Critter
Level 15

Do NOT be in a big rush to file this year ... first the IRS has not even posted a start date for the 2018 filing season yet and due to the current government shut down, the tax law changes & form changes this year they are far behind this year.  Expectations are that it will not start until very late in January (like last year's 1/29/18 start date) or even into sometime in February.  So you have plenty of time to get the W-2 from the employer  and  there are bound to be many glitches in the programs this year so I would not want to be first into the fray ...last time there were major tax law changes millions of early filers got caught in a glitch and their returns took months to process but the folks who waited a week processed in days. 

Critter
Level 15

Do NOT be in a big rush to file this year ... first the IRS has not even posted a start date for the 2018 filing season yet and due to the current government shut down, the tax law changes & form changes this year they are far behind this year.  Expectations are that it will not start until very late in January (like last year's 1/29/18 start date) or even into sometime in February.  So you have plenty of time to get the W-2 from the employer  and  there are bound to be many glitches in the programs this year so I would not want to be first into the fray ...last time there were major tax law changes millions of early filers got caught in a glitch and their returns took months to process but the folks who waited a week processed in days. 

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings