Ask the Experts about the new tax laws! >> Event happening TODAY!
dbrat999

Is there any way I can get my w-2 before my job mails it out

Kat

Possibly.  That would depend on your employer and the payroll provider that they use.   

Some (many) W-2s can be imported directly into TurboTax once they become available.  Importing your W-2 may be available sooner than a printed copy comes to you in the mail.  Employers have until the end of January to issue W-2s.  NO W-2s are available for import yet.   

See the information included in the TurboTax FAQ below.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

Do NOT be in a big rush to file this year ... first the IRS has not even posted a start date for the 2018 filing season yet and due to the current government shut down, the tax law changes & form changes this year they are far behind this year.  Expectations are that it will not start until very late in January (like last year's 1/29/18 start date) or even into sometime in February.  So you have plenty of time to get the W-2 from the employer  and  there are bound to be many glitches in the programs this year so I would not want to be first into the fray ...last time there were major tax law changes millions of early filers got caught in a glitch and their returns took months to process but the folks who waited a week processed in days.