Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

whitems99

Is there a way to "turn off" Turbo Tax's calculation of penalties for not paying enough estimated taxes and let the IRS do it?

I had a situation last year where I do believe I should have been penalized for a supposed underpayment of estimated taxes, but TT calculated and included one on my return anyway.  Since the IRS can calculate it without having to include it in the return I'd rather they tell me a penalty is warranted instead of TT including it.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Is there a way to "turn off" Turbo Tax's calculation of penalties for not paying enough estimated taxes and let the IRS do it?

At the end of the underpayment penalty section in TurboTax you come to a screen that says "Let the IRS Bill Me Later." That screen has two buttons: "Let the IRS Bill Me Later" and "Pay It Now." If you click "Let the IRS Bill Me Later" the penalty will be removed from your Form 1040 and the IRS will calculate the penalty and send you a bill.

Before you do that, as you go through the underpayment penalty section, read the screens carefully and enter any requested information. The screens describe the conditions that can eliminate the penalty and give you the opportunity to remove it.

whitems99

Thank you for your help!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies