Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1031Me
Returning Member

Is there a way to see overridden values in return?

Is there a way to see all overridden values in TurboTax Deluxe? I over-rode the previous year's unallowed loss for a property because the number was incorrect but I can't find which area of the worksheets that was done.

Another question, why would that value be different from the 2022 return (since the 2022 file was imported)? Now I see a "Qualified business net (loss) carryforward from the prior year" but this was not on any forms/worksheets from the 2022 return. Did TurboTax 2023 automatically take this carry over and deduct it from the unallowed loss carryforward? (Which is why the value was incorrect to begin with? Although the value was not the exact same amount but with several hundred $s)

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Here's how you can find all of your overrides. On the Tools menu select My Tax Data. A window will open that lists all the entries in your tax return. Any entry that was overridden will say Overridden in the Source column. You can click on the heading of the Source column to sort on that column, so that any Overridden entries will be together. If there are Details or Import entries at the top of the list after you sort it, scroll down to see if there are any Overridden entries after the Details and Import entries. The item in the My Tax Data list tells you the form and line number that has the override. You can click on an overridden item, then click the "Go To Form" button at the bottom of the list to go to the form that has the override.

You should remove all the overrides from your tax return. An override can cause the automatic calculations in TurboTax to break in unexpected ways, even in places that do not seem to be related to the override. An override prevents e-filing and cancels the TurboTax Accurate Calculations Guarantee.

there is a difference between "Change a value" and "Override a value".

If the box is not red, the change is permitted.

1031Me
Returning Member

Is there a way to revert the "Change a value" back to whatever it was when return info was transferred over? Because if I change this value back to what it was manually, in the Tax Data window it still says User Entered.

BTW, on Mac you go to WINDOW-->MY TAX DATA and look in the TYPE column.

Thanks.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

There's no way to change the entry type back to Transfer. Once you make a manual entry it remains User Entered. The only way to get it to say Transfer would be to start your tax return over again from the beginning, and do the transfer again. But it doesn't matter what the entry type is. It doesn't affect your tax return as long as the value is correct.

Thanks for the information about the Mac interface.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies