Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

FWAlaska

Is there a way to restore my 2023 income tax return to what it was when I files the return in April?

I completed and filed my 2023 tax return in April and paid all taxes owed on the return.  The Federal taxes due box at the top of the Turbotax page showed box showed a balance of zero taxes owed. 

I realized recently I forgot to include an early withdrawal penalty for cashing in a CD early so I need to file an amended return.  I opened my tax return and plugged in early withdrawal penalty to see what difference in made on my taxes.  The changes showed I would get $205 dollars back because of the withdrawal penalty.  The Federal taxes due box showed a green $205 indication I would receive a refund of $205.  I saved the change and closed the return.  When I reopened the return a few days later to amend the return I removed the changes from the original file so I could amend the return.  The Federal taxes due box now shows I owe the $205, not that it will be refunded.  Nothing else on my return has changed but instead of having a zero balance in taxes owed it shows I owe the $205.  How can I change the Federal taxes  due box back to $0 so I can amend the return?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Is there a way to restore my 2023 income tax return to what it was when I files the return in April?

You must have done something besides what you have said, perhaps inadvertently. It's not clear what you might have done.

You said you "paid all taxes owed on the return." But you also said "The Federal taxes due box at the top of the Turbotax page showed box showed a balance of zero taxes owed." If taxes were "owed on the return," then the taxes due box in TurboTax would have showed the amount owed, not zero. You must have done something after you filed to make the box show zero. Normally TurboTax continues to show the amount that was owed when the return was filed. It does not get updated when you pay the tax that you owed. On the other hand, if the taxes due box showed zero, when you filed, then you didn't owe any tax, so there was nothing that you had to pay.

Do you have a backup copy of the .tex2023 tax return file from when you filed in April? Make a copy of the filed return, and only work on the copy. Don't make changes to the original filed return.

pgb52

If you printed a pdf of the values you entered that resulted in zero tax, then go back and change these values.  Then save this file as "submitted" or "filed".  Close Tuirbo Tax and re-open it and select "Amend Return"  you may have to scroll down, its not visible on a small screen.

Pete

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies