turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is there a way to restart the filing process to remove a dependent so I won’t have to file by mail?

I have a dependent that’s already been claimed and have not been given the options to fix the issue given by the troubleshoot prompt
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

Is there a way to restart the filing process to remove a dependent so I won’t have to file by mail?

If you have not filed

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/small-business-processes/add-remove-depe...

If you have say you have filled so you gt different info.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

I think that you are saying that your e-file was rejected because one or more dependents that you want to claim have already been claimed by another taxpayer.

If this is your situation, you may:

• Remove the dependent(s) and attempt to electronically file, or
  • Retain the dependent(s) and file the tax return by paper and US mail.

If you retain the dependent(s) and file by paper and US mail, IRS processing time will be much longer.  

In addition, you and another taxpayer are claiming the same person. 

At some point, later in the year, the IRS will mail letters to both you and the other taxpayer asking you to prove that you have the right to claim the dependent(s).

The IRS will determine who will be allowed to retain the dependent(s).  The remaining taxpayer may have to pay back the child-related benefits such as the Child Tax Credit or the Earned Income Tax Credit.

If you elect to remove the dependent(s), go to My Info down the left side of the screen.  Scroll down to the name of the dependent to be removed and click the trashcan to the right of the name of the dependent to be removed.  See also here.

Then Review and proceed through the steps to electronically file as you did before.

@9663bd080556 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies