Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is there a way to file by mail after the IRS rejected my e-filing (#F8962-070)?

Turbo Tax won't let me upload my 1095-B & C's to prove that I don't need a 1095-A. I was on Medicaid most of the year, the rest was healthcare through employers. There will be no 1095-A. Can I even use Turbo Tax at this point? Should I just scrap Turbo Tax and go to H&R in person to solve this problem in a timely manner?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
TeresaM
Expert Alumni

If you do not have a Form 1095-A or a Form 8962 in your return and a rejection now says that it is missing, the Marketplace may have told the IRS that you applied for coverage that you did not ultimately take, or that someone on your tax return did.  Please call the Marketplace and be sure they do not have a Form 1095-A on record for anyone on your return, searching by names and social security numbers. Sometimes other people put the wrong number on their own application.  

Healthcare.gov

1-800-318-2596 (TTY: 1-855-889-4325). Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (except holidays)

Since this is a rejection from the IRS based on their database shared from the Marketplace, it will reject an e-file from TurboTax or another provider. 

You can file by mail and include documentation that can be routed to the review process for Premium Tax Credits

Or, if you have confirmed that no one on your return had insurance through the Marketplace for tax year 2022, but the IRS mistakenly thinks they did, it is OK to create a Form 1095-A with minimal information to satisfy the IRS for e-file purposes. If you use this method, and it contradicts what the Marketplace has on record, then you may receive a CP2000 Notice from the IRS but this may also happen with a paper filing. 

To create a workaround for the e-file:

1. Select Deductions & Credits from the left menu
  2. Scroll down to Medical and Select Show More 
  3. Select Start or Revisit for Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A) 
  4. As you walk through the questions, you'll be asked if you received a Form 1095-A. Even though you did not receive this form, select Yes 
  5. Enter 0's for the Marketplace identifier and policy number, and $1 for the January amounts 
  6. Continue through to the end of the questionnaire 
  7. Select File from the left menu and continue through the process to refile your return

If you need extra time and file an extension, it will waive failure-to-file penalties until October 18th. However, if you would have owed tax on April the 18th, the IRS will assess monthly late payment penalties and interest until you pay.

I recommend to extend your return with a TurboTax Extension and also pay your best guess of anything you may owe. If you overpay, it will be refunded. If you underpay, it will only calculate penalties on the part that was not paid.

TurboTax has a tool called TaxCaster to give you an idea of your tax liability and/or refund. You can vary different items and see how that could impact your return. Click for TaxCaster
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Steps to take for IRS reject code F8962-070 is what TurboTax recommends.  But, yes, you could choose to file on paper.  That is always an option. However, you would still get a letter from the IRS and possibly your state requiring you to fix something.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies