Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

futaxes
Returning Member

Is there a Schedule E glitch on 1099 reporting?

Schedule E asks "did you make any payments that require filing a 1099?"  I answer "no"

Next line reads "if you checked yes, have you filed them?"  I have left this blank.

TurboTax will not let me file, in a circle over this.  This was a question a few years back, someone suggested somewhere else I may have entered something that indicates I should have or need to file a 1099 for payment.  I have gone through this and do not see an error in my return.  Is this a glitch, how to override?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Assuming you are in the rental section, there is a place in the Property Profile that asks 'Did you pay anyone $600 or more for work related to this Property?' If that is the place where you have indicated 'no', then you may need to clear your cache and cookies if using an online version. 

For desktop, close out of the program completely. Then open again and let the updates run automatically before trying again to file. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
futaxes
Returning Member

this did not work

futaxes
Returning Member

Thank you, I have tried this  a couple of times.  I have also been on the phone with turbotax for the last 1 1/2 hours. What I have not done yet is completely erase all my info and restart my taxes.

TurboTax has another series of questions where apparently it is not required to turn in 1099s for payments to contractors over $600 (related to H4 IRS, change in 2012?). The issue for me is I did not pay anyone over $600 as a contractor, yet I cannot select the "no" to this question and file my returns.  I am wondering if somewhere else or some other entry point indicates the opposite?  I have read through all the forms and discussed with tech support, they don't know.  They have asked a tax pro to call me tomorrow.  Another possible issue, I started on TurboTax online version with live support.  This could be a specific glitch for me, although I cannot reason how or where if I cannot see any issues on the actual IRS forms

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

This isn't an ideal solution, but I did find this by PattiF.

Have you tried a different browser? I see the question box on the Schedule E worksheet. You may be able to deselect it there. @futaxes 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
futaxes
Returning Member

This did not work.  I definitely think the problem or glitch originated from starting on TurboTax online version and ending on TurboTax Premier on my PC.  On TurboTax Premier, they do not use the same steps, and absolutely nothing I entered on Premier stated I paid someone over $600.

No one from TurboTax ever called me back, and I submitted my taxes with incorrect boxes checked (the only way they would go through)

it did not change my taxes owed amount.  If the IRS comes knocking, I m blaming turboTax. 

TurboTax online is absolutely awful.  I went that route, willing to pay more, thinking I would be getting tax advice I thought I needed as a first time property manager.  However, the people I spoke to were definitely not tax knowledgable, and the one time someone attempted to transfer me to a real CPA, my call was dropped.  After receiving one definitely incorrect answer, and multiple calls with no answer, I changed back to Premier.  Also becasue in the online version, there is no access to forms, so you have no idea where your info is getting plugged in.  This experience has made me rethink my tax prep for next year, as a longtime user of turbotax, I'll be shopping for another way

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies