Solved: Is life insurance taxable if used to buy new policy

Is life insurance taxable if used to buy new policy

I was nearing the end of a life insurance policy and my agent suggested I roll the funds over into a new policy with later end ate, which I did.  I rolled all of the profits into a new policy and didn't get a dime.  Now I was sent a 1099 with over $20,000 of the taxable amount.  and according to Turbo tax I owe tax on this amount.  This seems wrong..  Is it??

It is possible to transfer the cash value in a life insurance policy to another policy tax-free.  I suggest speaking with your insurance agent to see if the process for a Section 1035 exchange was followed.  You may wish to review this article as well.  http://www.morningstar.com/advisor/t/75866242/know-the-rules-governing-tax-free-exchanges-of-insuran...

Otherwise, you have taxable income to the extent the proceeds from the policy exceed your investment in the policy.  

There had been loans against the policies that were wiped out in the transaction and $14,000 was transferred to the new policy to start it.  How does this affect 1035 eligibility