Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is Form 2210 required if income varies but you satisfy the 110% estimated tax requirement in the first period?

My estimated taxes paid in 2022 exceeded the 2022 tax due by 105%. In other words, applying the overpayment to 2023 and adding another 5% in my first estimated payment will meet the 110% threshold for 2023 to avoid penalties. What I want to know, is there any circumstance where I'd have to file a Form 2210 next year if all required taxes were paid by April 15?  I would think so, but the instructions are so confusing; in Section II it appears I'd have to check Box C, and in Section III it says don't file Form 2210 unless you checked a box in Section II. Seems like a circular argument. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Is Form 2210 required if income varies but you satisfy the 110% estimated tax requirement in the first period?

I think what you mean is that you will have paid 100% of your tax obligation for 2023 by April 15, 2023? If so, then you shouldn't have to file form 2210, as the IRS will have a record of when your taxes were paid, and that is what form 2210 does. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks very much

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies