Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SJC1975

IRA Withdrawal No 1099-R

Last September I received a check for $17.21 from a mutual fund that I held in a Rollover IRA to compensate for the incorrect calculation of the NAV during prior years. Instead of depositing the check into the IRA, I put it in a savings account creating an early withdrawal. I don't have a 1099-R for this. The mutual fund company can't create one because I don't have an account with them as it is in an account with Charles Schwab. Schwab can't create one as they didn't initiate the distribution. I tried entering the $17.21 into TurboTax by creating a fake 1099-R and leaving the Federal ID Number blank, but the program won't let me submit my taxes without the Federal ID Number. How do I put this into TurboTax without a 1099-R? I don't think the IRS has any record of this and it hardly seems worth the effort for maybe $5 in taxes.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

IRA Withdrawal No 1099-R

Though I agree with your thinking on this, here's the proper way to handle your situation.  Really, the mutual fund is at fault for not sending the check to the IRA properly.  Therefore they should have no issue with giving you their EIN so you can report it on your tax return. 

From @dmertz:

"If these were the result of mutual funds held in an IRA, ideally the checks should have been made payable to the IRA since the IRA was the owner.  However, such payments are sometimes paid to the IRA participant instead and should be deposited into the IRA as a restorative payment or a rollover depending on whether or not they are reported on Form 1099-R as a distribution.

If not deposited into an IRA, the funds are considered to have been distributed from the IRA that owned the mutual funds and should be reported on the tax return as such.  If a Form 1099-R was issued reporting this as a distribution, that Form 1099-R must be entered into TurboTax and you must indicate that you "did something else with the money," i.e., you did not roll it over.  If no Form 1099-R was issued, you would probably need to enter a substitute Form 1099-R (Form 4852) as if you had received a Form 1099-R reporting a regular distribution from the IRA, subject to ordinary income tax and, if you are under age 59½, to a 10% early-distribution penalty on the taxable amount."

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies