Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

run2winmom
Returning Member

IRA charitable contribution from irrevocable trust

My father' s trust documents state that his IRA money was to be divided between three Universities. He wanted them to be charitable contributions to programs he supported during his life through RMD QCDs.  Unfortunately his Merrill Lynch account had his trust being the beneficiary of his investments, including the IRA account.  Our CPA has stated M/L needs to open Beneficiary IRA's for these institutions and roll the proceeds as stated in the trust, in order to not be taxed. M/L is refusing to create these IRAs, so now I am searching for alternative ways to give this money, in full to the charities without the trust or charities being taxed. 

It has been suggested that M/L distribute the money accordingly, the estate would get the 1099 showing the distribution, but the CPA would provide K-1s to each of the charities, in the amounts they receive.  As charitable programs, they would be exempt from paying taxes on this money.  Is this a work around that would allow them to get the full amount intended by my dad's wishes, without either the trust or charities being taxed?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

IRA charitable contribution from irrevocable trust

Follow the advice of your CPA. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies