Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IP Pin

I had my federal return rejected because I supposedly entered the wrong Pin number. .it does not match the IRS records. The pin I received from the IRS site is six digits. The box for entering the pin on the Turbo Tax website only accepts five digits...what is the solution?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

IP Pin

The five-digit PIN is an e-filing PIN, not an IP PIN. To enter your 6-digit IP PIN, type "ip pin" (without the quotes) in the Search box, then click the link that says "Go to ip pin."

View solution in original post

8 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

IP Pin

The five-digit PIN is an e-filing PIN, not an IP PIN. To enter your 6-digit IP PIN, type "ip pin" (without the quotes) in the Search box, then click the link that says "Go to ip pin."

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

IP Pin

Go to Federal>Other Tax Situations>Other Return Info>Identity Protection PIN and enter the six-digit PIN.  You may have entered in the wrong location.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

IP Pin

Success....it worked..  Thank you for your help 

IP Pin

What is the solution?

XJ2K1

IP Pin

I don't recall any mention of an IP PIN while completing my returns. ONLY when I received the notice that my returns were rejected. And the "RETURN CHECK" apparently missed that detail.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

IP Pin

@Jimbuch801  The solution is in the posts above yours. Read the entire thread from the beginning.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

IP Pin

@XJ2K1  TurboTax has no way of knowing if you have an IP PIN. Most people do not have an IP PIN, so omitting it cannot be considered an error. If you have one, you know that you have to enter it in your tax return. It's up to you to go to the appropriate topic and enter it.

IP Pin

I got on the IRS website and was able to find my IP pin. You must have an account with the IRS or create one. The two pin matter is confusing. Good luck 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies