Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IP Pin rejection and filing by mail

Hello,

My 2023 was rejected due to a "IP PIN provided for a dependent on this return is not valid. You should have received a CP01A notice from the IRS with the required IP PIN, .... etc"

So we did not get any letter for any of my depends, besides my wife, I have other 3 dependents. There is no more info provided on TurboTax Deluxe's software. 

I called the IRS identity theft number provided by TurboTax and after confirming my identity, then they were able to tell me that my 20 year old daughter needed an IP PIN. She is a College student so I can still claim her a a dependent.

My daughter is abroad this semester and won't be back until May. She tried to get an IP PIN through the website but she does not have a US phone number at the moment (for getting text messages from the ID.me website) and getting the video call may be problematic as she only has her driver's license and her passport, but not SS# card.

My understanding is that we have 5 days to resubmit electronically once we get the IP PIN. Since we won't get the IP PIN,  my only option is to send a paper 1040 via regular mail.

My question, since it is pass the Apr 15 deadline,  if this will be considered late or will they know this is due to an IP PIN rejection and will not consider it late?

Or should I request an extension?

BTW, I am getting a refund, so I am not worried about late payments.

Thanks for your help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JulieS
Expert Alumni

IP Pin rejection and filing by mail

No, it won' t be considered late because you e-filed it the first time before the deadline. Because you are getting a refund, the IRS won't ask for proof that it was filed before the deadline anyway. 

You can't get an extension after April 15, but don't worry, you don't need one. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies