Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Installment Sale Method on form 6252 for prior year did not carry over?

I sold my residential rental, investment property, closed on 9/1/21, attempted to do a 1031 exchange but failed and the funds were released after 180 days by the intermediary on 2/28/22.
I have long term capital gain and depreciation recapture for the relinquished property that transacted in 2021 but was able to defer to the following year, 2022, due to the funds were held and released on 2022.
I used TurboTax to file 2021 and reported the sale as Installment Sale Method on form 6252. I am now filing my 2022 taxes but I am not seeing any traces of the Capital Gain nor Depreciation Recaptures that should have been carried over. I had to manually file form 593 to declare the State failed 1031 Withholding tax but TurboTax shows I'm due a refund for both Fed and State (even refunding the 1031 Withholding from the 593) which I shouldn't be getting.
My Schedule D doesn't seem to have any information showing from 2021 form 6252. Do I need to do the 6252? or 8949?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Did you see your rental property on one of the following screens thereafter (see screenshot - and, sorry, I don't have the 2021 software installed to check transfer issues).

Untitled.png

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Did you try checking the box that appears in the screenshot below?

Untitled.png

Yes, that was automatically checked.

screenshotscreenshot

Did you see your rental property on one of the following screens thereafter (see screenshot - and, sorry, I don't have the 2021 software installed to check transfer issues).

Untitled.png

Bingo!

Yes, it was listed, however, with a blank amount.  I keyed in the amount received and voila, I need to pay taxes now.  Weird but it's a happy feeling to be paying taxes 🙂

Thank you so much! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies