Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Inmate name and inmate number

I need to put my inmate ID number next to my name or if the check comes to the prison without that number on it the prison said they will mail the check back to the IRS.  After trying to file electronically through Turbo Tax I get a message at the end that reads,  Whoops we hit a snag loading your data. Please try again and a message came up that said only letters can be entered in the name area. So if I can't put my name and inmate number in the name box then I won't get my check.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Inmate name and inmate number

With the prison's restriction in place, your only option will be to have the refund deposited to a checking account.

The Personal Info interview's name field will not accept numbers (or hyphens or spaces) - this is an IRS limitation that TurboTax must comply with.

Even if you printed your return, manually added the inmate number and then filed by mail, a refund check would not include your inmate number. Checks are printed using automated systems and those systems only have the name that shows in your social security administration records.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies