Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

querod520

Initial tax filing as a Professional Association

I just opened a corporation as a Professional Association…what would be the initial taxes I would need to file and when? What if I only have expenses and no income yet? Can I deduct all start up costs? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Scooter1768
Employee Tax Expert

Initial tax filing as a Professional Association

Hello! Querod520, 

First of all, congratulation on your new endeavor! I am not entirely clear as to your corporation tax filing requirements as a "Professional Corporation," and I would recommend that you first of all refer to your incorporation documents filed with the Secretary of State in the state you incorporated in, as a Professional Corporation could mean something different in different states. Since you said you formed a corporation, I assume you mean either a C Corporation or an LLC ("Limited Liability Company.")

If your Professional Association is considered a C corporation according to your Secretary of State, then you would need to file and Form 1120 for the tax year. But  I think you most likely formed an LLC. In this case, if you are the only shareholder in this professional corporation, you will just "need" to include your business income on a Schedule C as part of personal tax return; Form 1040.  There would not be a separate filing requirement if this is the case. This is the clearly the simplest scenario for filing. 

As for start up costs, you can deduct $5,000 in the first year, and amortize the rest over 5 years.  You can include just expenses in your first year filing. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies