Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Inherited land in Michigan in 1975. Have no idea what original cost was. Sold it in 2023. Price was divided between siblings. How do I do original cost ?

sold inheirited land in 2023. have no idea what the cost was orig
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

Inherited land in Michigan in 1975. Have no idea what original cost was. Sold it in 2023. Price was divided between siblings. How do I do original cost ?

Use FMV --Fair Market Value-- of the land when you inherited it in 1975 as cost.  Sales price minus cost is taxed gain.

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Although you inherited this land many years ago, there are a few potential sources of information that may help you determine your basis in the property.

• The estate may have filed a tax return. The executor should have a copy, or the accounting firm that prepared the return, or you can request it from the IRS.
  • The county tax records may have an assessment for the year you inherited the property.
  • A real estate appraiser may be able to do a "historical" look-back valuation for that year.

Whichever you choose, it will be an estimate. But you can use it as support for whatever value you claim.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies