Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Inflation Reduction Act Tax Credit for Heat Pumps (25c) - based on what tax liability?

Looking for any additional detail or clarification from someone who knows on the IRA tax credit under section 25C, specifically on heat pump water heaters.  From what I have read this is a non-refundable credit that can reduce my tax liability.  Where I have seen disagreement is exactly what tax liability it is based on.

Is it a reduction of the overall tax liability - i.e. IRS Form 1041 lines 16 or 24?

Or does a taxpayer only receive the credit if they actually owe additional taxes when they file - shown in Form 1040 Line 37 ("Amount You Owe")

In other words - and to put numbers on it - if I plan my tax withholding correctly so that my total tax liability (line 16 or 24) is $10,000... and my payroll deductions total $11,000, leaving me a tax refund of $1,000... and the cost of a new heat pump water heater installed is such that I would receive the full $2,000 tax credit...

Would I receive an additional $2,000 back (totaling $3k tax refund because the $2,000 tax credit reduced my $10k tax liability to $8k)?  Or will I receive no tax credit because I am already receiving a refund?

It seems like it should be the former (based on Line 16 or 24), but I have seen other explanations that seem to refer to the latter.

thanks for the feedback

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Inflation Reduction Act Tax Credit for Heat Pumps (25c) - based on what tax liability?

@s_c_1 - the non-refundable credits are on line 17 and 19.  What 'non-refundable' means is that the tax on Line 16 can be reduced with non-redunfable credits, but the result (Line 22) can not be less than  zero. it's that simple. 

Let's say the tax on Line 16 is $2,000 and you have a non-refundable credit for $3,0000.  Then Line 17 is going to be $2,000 (and not $3,000) because Line 22 can not be less than zero. In some cases the $1,000 can be carried over to be used the next year but in other cases (the EV credit for example), it's lost forever.  

A 'refundable credit' reduces whatever is on line 22, even if it means the answer goes below zero (meaning you get a refund!).  these credits get posted on lines 27a as well as 28-31.

note that the line numbers are the same on Form 1040 in both 2021 and 2022. 

<<Would I receive an additional $2,000 back (totaling $3k tax refund because the $2,000 tax credit reduced my $10k tax liability to $8k)?  Or will I receive no tax credit because I am already receiving a refund?>>

to answer your specific question, you;d receive the additional $2,000.  You are correct that your tax liability (line 16) would be reduced by the tax credit with the remaining tax liability displayed on Line 22 - and since Line 22 is more than zero, you'd get the full benefit of the tax credit. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

@s_c_1 - the non-refundable credits are on line 17 and 19.  What 'non-refundable' means is that the tax on Line 16 can be reduced with non-redunfable credits, but the result (Line 22) can not be less than  zero. it's that simple. 

Let's say the tax on Line 16 is $2,000 and you have a non-refundable credit for $3,0000.  Then Line 17 is going to be $2,000 (and not $3,000) because Line 22 can not be less than zero. In some cases the $1,000 can be carried over to be used the next year but in other cases (the EV credit for example), it's lost forever.  

A 'refundable credit' reduces whatever is on line 22, even if it means the answer goes below zero (meaning you get a refund!).  these credits get posted on lines 27a as well as 28-31.

note that the line numbers are the same on Form 1040 in both 2021 and 2022. 

<<Would I receive an additional $2,000 back (totaling $3k tax refund because the $2,000 tax credit reduced my $10k tax liability to $8k)?  Or will I receive no tax credit because I am already receiving a refund?>>

to answer your specific question, you;d receive the additional $2,000.  You are correct that your tax liability (line 16) would be reduced by the tax credit with the remaining tax liability displayed on Line 22 - and since Line 22 is more than zero, you'd get the full benefit of the tax credit. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies