turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ineligible to e-file state taxes - CA registered domestic partner

Hello, 

I recently got engaged and for the first time i used turbo tax as a register domestic partner.  I am receiving an ineligible message after trying to e-file my state return.  I'm still not able to e-file, even after paying the filing fee of $20, the message reads that is due to CA-RDP. I tried to print the forms to mail but unfortunately the software does not give that option and while reviewing the PDF instruction sheet there's no indication where or what to mail out.  Has anyone experienced this or have any suggestions, please? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Ineligible to e-file state taxes - CA registered domestic partner

If you and your partner are in a registered domestic partnership (RDP) and you reside in the community property states of California, Nevada, or Washington state, you'll each need to prepare your own federal tax returns based on your state's community property rules.

You'll both report your share of community property income, which is determined by your state's tax laws and other factors like prenuptial agreements.

We can't figure out what your share of community property is. Each couple will need to determine this for themselves. IRS Publication 555 (page 3 in particular) has guidance on how to determine and properly split community income.

If you choose to jointly file your California state return, we recommend switching to the TurboTax Desktop software instead of TurboTax Online.

Part 1: Do your federal return first

Part 2: Prepare your partner's federal return

Part 3: Finish and file both returns

Part 4: (Optional) Prepare and file your California return(s)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies