Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Incorrect W2?

In 2023, wages were disbursed to me by check, but were sent to the wrong address--I never received them and the checks were never cashed. Once this was discovered and corrected, the checks were cancelled and re-issued in 2024. I am concerned now because my 2023 W2 reflects these wages which I never in reality received, and they will be reflected again on my 2024 W2. Does this situation call for a corrected W2? I have been told by some that this will not possible. Do I have to pay taxes on these wages which I never received? If my W2 cannot be corrected, can my return account for these losses in another way?

Thank you, 

DR

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JulieS
Expert Alumni

Incorrect W2?

Yes, you can file a Form 4852 to correct your W-2, but if you still work for this employer, it'd be best for all if they agreed to either correct the W-2 themselves, or not include the wages on your 2024 W-2. 

Filing Form 4852 involves contacting the IRS, explaining what has happened, and then preparing a correct W-2 for 2023. You won't be able to e-file your return if you do this. 

You may want to have a discussion with your employer and ask them if they want to correct your W-2 form, or have you file Form 4852 and have the IRS look into it. 

Follow this link for more about contacting the IRS in this situation. 

Follow this link to learn how to file Form 4852 in TurboTax. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies