Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Incorrect acquisition date reported on 1099-B for asset sold after step up in basis due to death

My spouse died in 2023. Since we are in CA, a community property state, the broker (Vanguard) correctly revalued the basis of all securities to date of death. However they also changed the acquisition date to date of death, while keeping the correct long term / short term gain categories. On the 1099-B , sales after the date of death with long term gains were reported in the correct long term gain category. However with a reported 2023 acquisition date, it looks as if they were held for less than a year. This didn’t bother TurboTax. Will the IRS system flag it? If so anything I can do about it? I don’t think I can get Vanguard to change their system.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Incorrect acquisition date reported on 1099-B for asset sold after step up in basis due to death

As long as you indicated that it was inherited, the gain will be Long-Term. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the reply. The 1099-B doesn’t indicate the stock was inherited and I didn’t see a way to indicate that in TurboTax. I suppose if the IRS questions it, I can explain it then. 

I did some further research and it seems that in the acquisition date column I should replace the date my wife died with the word INHERITED. That seems to be what it says in the instructions to form 8949 and in the following post:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/for-the-date-acquired-field-of-the-form-8949-do-y...

Do you agree? Thanks for your help.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

When you report the investment as being inherited, it will be reflected as such on Form 8949, copy two:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies