Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

incorrect 1099r

I liquidated an annuity that was not a retirement account. My financial advisor sent the company a transfer request to liquidate the annuity and to have the money deposited directly into my account at his firm. He did not request a 1035 exchange. However, the annuity company recognized it as such and when I received my 1099r, it had no tax taxable amount in box 2a and "6" in box 7 on the 1099r.  The annuity company says that since he sent a transfer request and not a "full surrender form"  they automatically treat it as a 1035 exchange. Obviously, by the time I got my 1099r, the 60 day exchange period was long past not to mention that the money had already been invested in a taxable account. The annuity company says they can't issue a corrected 1099r even though my financial advisor says he filled out the request properly and did not request a 1035 exchange. So how do I report my taxable income earned from this annuity without having the correct figures on my 1099r? Is there a way of putting in the numbers correctly in the appropriate boxes and attaching a statement on my return given that there is absolutely no way that I will get a corrected 1099r from the annuity company?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

incorrect 1099r

I agree with the annuity company that the financial advisor made a mistake by requesting a transfer, so I would not expect the annuity company to agree to change the Form 1099-R.

There is no provision in the tax code that allows a 60-day rollover of a nonqualified annuity, so immediately upon being deposited into the non-annuity account it became an ordinary distribution from the annuity despite the reporting with code 6 on the Form 1099-R.  Absent the annuity company issuing a corrected Form 1099-R, you'll need to submit a substitute Form 1099-R (Form 4852) to provide the correct reporting (with, presumably, code 7 in box 7 and the difference between box 1 and box 5 in box 2a.  In TurboTax you'll need to mark the entry as being a substitute Form 1099-R.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

incorrect 1099r

Is there any other solution beyond attaching a statement if you cannot get a corrected 1099-R?

I'll page @dmertz for input.

dmertz
Level 15

incorrect 1099r

I agree with the annuity company that the financial advisor made a mistake by requesting a transfer, so I would not expect the annuity company to agree to change the Form 1099-R.

There is no provision in the tax code that allows a 60-day rollover of a nonqualified annuity, so immediately upon being deposited into the non-annuity account it became an ordinary distribution from the annuity despite the reporting with code 6 on the Form 1099-R.  Absent the annuity company issuing a corrected Form 1099-R, you'll need to submit a substitute Form 1099-R (Form 4852) to provide the correct reporting (with, presumably, code 7 in box 7 and the difference between box 1 and box 5 in box 2a.  In TurboTax you'll need to mark the entry as being a substitute Form 1099-R.

incorrect 1099r

Is there a way to fix this and still submit my taxes electronically? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies