Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Income from helping at a home showcase

My wife and I helped scan tickets at my sister-in-laws parents home showcase and got paid for it. Where would I report this income? 1099-misc?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

This applies to Form 1099-NEC, 1099-K, 1099-Misc et al and to other taxable income without a report.

Enter it in the personal section, Other Common Income Form 1099-MISC.  To ensure it does not go to Schedule C (self-employment), you will answer the follow-up questions accordingly. 

On the Describe the reason for this 1099-MISC screen, enter a description of the other income. (award/stipend)

Select None of these apply on the Does one of these uncommon situations apply? screen.

Select No, it didn’t involve work like my day job on the Did the involve work that's like your main job? screen.

Select I got it ONLY in 2023 on the How often did you get income for? screen.

Select No, it didn’t involve intent to earn money on the Did the work involve an intent to earn money? screen.

Answering differently to any of these questions will imply self-employment and generate Schedule C.  

Please give feedback. If this helps click “Thumb” or “Best Answer” if it’s a solution.

1040NR

When I click on Other Common Income and select “Form-MISC,” it asks me if I received a 1099-MISC. When I select “no” it just brings me back to the page showing my income and expenses. I don’t see a way to answer the above questions you mentioned.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

If you did not receive a tax form (answer yes if you did receive a 1099-misc) and need to report income - You can enter it in the Other Reportable Income section of TurboTax.   Follow the path below to get to that entry spot in TurboTax.   All you need to enter is the amount and a description.  

• Personal Taxes/Federal Taxes -  depending on what version you are using  >>
  • Personal Income/Wages & Income  >>
  • Less Common Income - last section  >>
  • Miscellaneous Income 1099-A, 1099-C  - last section in the list  >>
  • Other Reportable Income - last item in miscellaneous 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies