Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Income from Contingent-fee lawsuit for individual w/ Trader Tax Status

I am full-time trader (speculating in stocks and bonds) and I have a question on deductibility of legal expenses arising from a contingent-fee lawsuit. My understanding is that recoveries from contingent-fee lawsuits arising from breach of contract are taxed at the gross recovery, not net recovery (e.g. the money I actually get). Summary of situation:

• I have Trader Tax Status currently

• In the course of my normal trading activities in 2022, I was defrauded by a public company in whose securities I traded.

• An attorney has agreed to litigate my claim on a contingent basis.

• I will only pursue the lawsuit if I am able to be taxed on the net recovery or can deduct the contingent-fee taken by lawyer

Normally, as an individual, if I receive a $2M gross recovery and the lawyer takes $800k as his contingent fee and I receive $1.2M pre-tax, I would be taxed on the $2M and the $800k fee is not deductible. However, because I have TTS, I believe the $800k is deductible from my income. Is that correct?

Per IRS: “The law considers this [trading in securities by TTS individuals] to be a business, even though a trader doesn't maintain an inventory and doesn't have customers.” Because a business can deduct legal fees in the ordinary course of business, it makes sense that TTS can deduct legal expenses related to the their trading activities.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I would agree that with trading as your business, the legal fees should be deductible. However, considering the amount involved, this public forum is probably not the place to seek a definitive answer. Consult with a tax professional.

Thank you for the response. Do you have any advice for how to find a tax attorney who would specialize in this area. I was advised to ask a tax attorney, not just a CPA. All local tax attorneys do not appear experience in this area (focus on estates, IRS debt resolution, etc.), so I'm struggling to figure out where to go next. 

contact your state bar association. it may be able to give you names of attorneys who have expertise in your area. can't say that a tax attorney would be better than a CPA.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies