Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Income Earned by Government obligations to reduce state/local tax

I am trying to understand what income is used to calculate the amount of income earned from a mutual fund’s U.S. government obligations. In many states, this income can reduce state/local taxes. I have instructions from one manager to exclude short-term capital gains (no mention of long-term) and from another to exclude any capital gains distributions (whether short-term or long-term).

1) What constitutes the income? Is it all dividends except tax-exempt dividends?

For example, one consolidated 1099 shows a breakdown of “Total Dividends and Distributions” by fund including qualified, nonqualified, and Section 199A dividends as well as short-term and long-term capital gains. Which would be included in the income?

2) Once armed with the correct income, you multiply it by the percentage provided by the fund manager in a supplemental tax table found on their website. Is this correct?

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@kevinr12240 wrote:

I have instructions from one manager to exclude short-term capital gains (no mention of long-term) and from another to exclude any capital gains distributions (whether short-term or long-term).

Capital gain distributions are in 1099-DIV box 2a and are not included in box 1a, so they are already excluded if you use box 1a. I don't understand what they are saying about short-term capital gains. Maybe these managers are trying to say that you should just use box 1a and don't add anything to it.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

1) Use the "Total ordinary dividends" in box 1a of the 1099-DIV.

2) Yes, that's correct.

Thank you for your prompt response.  I will use the full amount of 1099 box 1a (Total Ordinary Dividends).  I still wonder what the fund managers meant by excluding capital gains....confusing! 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@kevinr12240 wrote:

I have instructions from one manager to exclude short-term capital gains (no mention of long-term) and from another to exclude any capital gains distributions (whether short-term or long-term).

Capital gain distributions are in 1099-DIV box 2a and are not included in box 1a, so they are already excluded if you use box 1a. I don't understand what they are saying about short-term capital gains. Maybe these managers are trying to say that you should just use box 1a and don't add anything to it.

Thanks for your help.  Will use the box 1a amount and get these taxes done!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies