Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Income After Retirement

I recently began inspecting shopping centers as an independent contractor for a company that pays an hourly rate plus mileage (65.5 cents per mile) plus travel expense reimbursement ( hotel, meals) plus reimbursement for expenses related to specific properties (tools, ladders, etc.). Total payments from the company should not be in excess of $15,000 per year. My wife and I file jointly and our income consists of Social Security, pension and IRA disbursements. I’m concerned about how this new income stream will affect our tax situation and how best to account for this W-9 income. Will all of the money paid to me be included on the W-9 or just my hourly rate and if it is all payments, how do I go about subtracting the mileage and reimbursements from income on my return? 
I’m sure TurboTax will guide me through this process when preparing my return as it has for years but I want to be sure that I’m keeping proper records for documentation.

Thanks so much!!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Income After Retirement

Hi Whitesantafe,,

To follow up on ylur question, while it comes down to the business that will be paying you for your services, since they would be considered your "client", you will be billing them for all the services you stated earlier. When the time comes at year end, they will most likely generated a Form 1099-NEC for all amounts paid, because all if it is considered "Self-Employment" Income. When you report your gross receipts on your TurboTax year-end tax return, you will be claiming a business deduction for all the associated costs you incur from using your vehicle, hotels, meals, or tools and and supplies you spend along the way.

Bottom line, your self-employment income will be subject to self-employment taxes of 15.30% on the net amount you earn after all the expenses above are subtracted from the amount you receive. It will not matter if they break down all the associated amounts you bill them into several checks, because only one Form 1099-NEC will be generated at year-end with your Social Security Number.

Once you start assessing the net result of all that gross income less expenses, that additional net income, plus your pension, IRA distributions and possibly 85% of your Social Security Benefits will be subject to Federal Income Tax after you subtract out your Married Filing Joint Standard Deduction of $27,700, unless you can claim a larger Itemized Deductions, in addition to the added Self-Employment tax on the net amount you earn at 15.30%.

I hope this provides some insight for now.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Income After Retirement

Hi Whitesantafe,,

To follow up on ylur question, while it comes down to the business that will be paying you for your services, since they would be considered your "client", you will be billing them for all the services you stated earlier. When the time comes at year end, they will most likely generated a Form 1099-NEC for all amounts paid, because all if it is considered "Self-Employment" Income. When you report your gross receipts on your TurboTax year-end tax return, you will be claiming a business deduction for all the associated costs you incur from using your vehicle, hotels, meals, or tools and and supplies you spend along the way.

Bottom line, your self-employment income will be subject to self-employment taxes of 15.30% on the net amount you earn after all the expenses above are subtracted from the amount you receive. It will not matter if they break down all the associated amounts you bill them into several checks, because only one Form 1099-NEC will be generated at year-end with your Social Security Number.

Once you start assessing the net result of all that gross income less expenses, that additional net income, plus your pension, IRA distributions and possibly 85% of your Social Security Benefits will be subject to Federal Income Tax after you subtract out your Married Filing Joint Standard Deduction of $27,700, unless you can claim a larger Itemized Deductions, in addition to the added Self-Employment tax on the net amount you earn at 15.30%.

I hope this provides some insight for now.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies