Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Inaccurate Import of Corrected Fidelity 1099s

Fidelity released Corrected (revised) 1099-DIV Tax Report Statements to me in March.  Since these superseded the first Tax Report data, I deleted the originally downloaded information from my Turbotax and imported the corrected (revised) tax info.  Problematically, wrong values populated 1099-DIV Line 1a (Total Ordinary Div), Line 3 (Non-dividend Distributions), and Line 7 (Foreign Tax Paid).  These did not match the corrected 1099s.  They also didn’t equal the first Tax Report Stmts which had imported accurately earlier.  So the problem isn’t related to import of initial Tax Report Stmts from Fidelity.   Plus the same field entry errors happened when I imported using on-line and locally installed Turbotax Premier.

Has anyone had this problem?  Is this a systemic error?

If I manually edit those incorrect Lines 1a, 3, and 7, then entries won’t match imported Worksheets’ sum of the hundreds of individual transactions that make up those values.  I obviously don’t want to waste time to review and edit all of them.

I welcome insights for an effective work-around or solution.  Thanks, all.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

I would like to take a deeper look at this. However, I need a diagnostic file which is a copy of your tax return that has all of your personal information removed. You can send one to us by following the directions below:

1. Sign into your online account.
  2. Locate the Tax Tools on the left-hand side of the screen.
  3. A drop-down will appear. Select Tools
  4. On the pop-up screen, click on “Share my file with agent.”
  5. This will generate a message that a diagnostic file gets sanitized and transmitted to us.
  6. Please respond back with the Token Number that was generated.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for offer to evaluate files.  I opt to not share them.

Have others seen inaccurate Turbotax population of fields after import of Corrected Tax Reporting Statements from Fidelity?

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

First, you should delete the original entries that you imported using the following steps in the link that applies to you.

• If you're using TurboTax Online software and need to delete a form, click here.
  • If you're using TurboTax CD\Download software and need to delete a form, click here

Next, before you enter the new numbers and forms you should first clear your cache and cookies. It handles many issues that seem nonsensical because of data pieces you thought were deleted or removed. 

• Close your TurboTax return first.

Watch to be sure you are selecting 'all time' as example.  Do not use selections like 'last hour' for those browsers that give  you options.

Now you should enter the new forms to finish your tax return.  Please update here if you have more questions and one of our tax experts will help.

@C-Starr 

UPDATE

After the opening note in this series, Fidelity released its second Corrected Tax Reporting Statement 3/28/23.  I deleted the earlier inaccurately imported data from Turbotax and imported the new.  All but the Qualified Div (Line 1b) numbers agreed with actual Fidelity tax statement. 

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Yes, deleting and editing imported data can sometimes cause issues.

Here's more info on How to Update or Delete Imported Data.

Since only one number on your statement imported incorrectly, you could Edit that number.

Or, you could summarize your 1099-Div's into one entry, deleting the incorrect entries from the import. 

@C-Starr 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies