Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In TT Deluxe 2023 should I have said YES to "did this person die before filling out forms?" although husband died in Jan 2024? Tax forms were errored out by IRS.

TT Help said to answer NO if he was alive Dec 31, 2023. But IRS said SSN had been reported as deceased person. Correct, but not until January.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

In TT Deluxe 2023 should I have said YES to "did this person die before filling out forms?" although husband died in Jan 2024? Tax forms were errored out by IRS.

If your husband died before you filed your tax year 2023 return, then Yes should have been selected as a response to My spouse passed away before filing this return.

For the purposes of the question, the answer should have been Yes whether his date of death was in 2023 or 2024, as long as the date of death was before your tax year 2023 return was filed.

Thank you for the reply.  The Turbo Tax help screen told me to answer "no" if he was alive on Dec 31 -- it needs to be corrected.  If I had answered YES, would it have asked me for the death date, thus avoiding the hassle with IRS and many extra weeks of waiting for my refund?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies