Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In doing my estimates for 2018 quarterly taxes, it asked if I would have any other “income or losses” in 2018. It showed -$29,853 for 2017. What is that loss related to?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

In doing my estimates for 2018 quarterly taxes, it asked if I would have any other “income or losses” in 2018. It showed -$29,853 for 2017. What is that loss related to?

If you had capital losses in 2017, TurboTax would account for the -$29,853 loss, if relevant in the 2018 estimated payment calculation. The questions asks if you "plan" to have any other "income or losses" in 2018. This could be cash in on a block of gains you have been sitting on and want to realize.

If you have any other details regarding this question, please feel free to post them in the comment section. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MichaelDC

If you had capital losses in 2017, TurboTax would account for the -$29,853 loss, if relevant in the 2018 estimated payment calculation. The questions asks if you "plan" to have any other "income or losses" in 2018. This could be cash in on a block of gains you have been sitting on and want to realize.

If you have any other details regarding this question, please feel free to post them in the comment section. 

That just seems like a huge loss - and I can't for the life of me think what it might be. What types of things might be considered a loss for that section?
I just want to make sure I'm not deducting anything incorrectly that would account for such a big loss - and if it is correct, I'm guessing it would apply to next year as well.
My husband is a minister so he does have a housing allowance, and we also have a home office deduction. Would those two things be in that section? Thank you!!!
MichaelDC

My pleasure. It's a little unclear, not knowing your entire situation. If you came out of your 2017 return not owing more than $1000, it might be easier for you to make the same quarterly payments in 2018. By paying 100% of last year (2017) tax, you'll never be penalized for underpayment next year. That will satisfy the IRS requirement for estimated payments. If you seem to be having a much better year in 2018, you'll owe money next year, but there won't be a penalty. Or you could bump up your third and fourth payments as you decide.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies