korymaine

In 2018 I was laid off from my employer, but continued to freelance with them. My 1099 was taxed at a W2 rate vs 1099. Same for 2019 but I do not see the tax break. Help?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

DawnC

You are either an employee who receives a W-2 or you are a freelancer (self-employed) who receives a 1099.   Your income tax rate is the same, the difference is your social security and medicare taxes.  As an employee, you pay half and your employer pays the other half.  As a self-employed freelancer, you are both the employer and employee, so you pay all of it (15.3%).   You actually pay more tax as a self-employed person, but you can deduct expenses from your income which will help to lower those taxes.  

DawnC