Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In 2015, my father died and my mother has dementia. How do I sign joint tax return?

I have POA for my mother who has dementia. My father died in 2015. When I file the 2015 joint return for my mother and father, I will:

1.  write on the top Form 1040 “Deceased,” my father's name and date of death;
  2.  I will attach a copy of the POA for my mother; and
  3.  on Form 1040 page 2 sign my name followed by “POA.” Or do I sign my mother's name followed by my name and POA.

As to my father's signature line, do I leave this blank or do I sign as executor and attach the court document assigning me as executor?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

In 2015, my father died and my mother has dementia. How do I sign joint tax return?

For your father you should write "Personal Representative" and sign your name (do not leave it blank)

For your mother you should write "POA" and sign your name (you should not have to send a copy of the POA unless the IRS asks for it.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

For your father you should write "Personal Representative" and sign your name (do not leave it blank)

For your mother you should write "POA" and sign your name (you should not have to send a copy of the POA unless the IRS asks for it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies