Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

*IMPORTENT* Question Regarding My (2017) Refund....?

I post-dated & filed my 2017 tax return like a week or so before the deadline, waited for about 2 years now, and I just got a letter on January, 2nd, 2023 saying this

TAX PERIODS: DEC. 31, 2017.

Dear Taxpayer,

Your account shows an overpayment of $4,514.00

You will receive a refund in four to eight weeks unless you owe other taxes or legal debts we are required to collect. 

To my best knowledge it has been more then 8 weeks since Jan, 3rd, and I still have not gotten any more information concerning this, when I checked My Account Transcript, I get this (BELOW)

P TheN D.png

So what should I do about this issue, wait until I file my 2022 taxes and hope for the best? Call them? Write a letter?

Thanks!!!!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

MichaelGD3,

Your 2017 refund has nothing to do with filing your 2022 taxes.  You are certainly within your rights to call the IRS and ask.  Did you perhaps move to a new address between the time you filed that 2017 return and now?  There is a possibility the check might have been mailed to an old address if so.

I lived at my current address for about 10 years, so I don't think that can be the issue. I will try my best to contact them.

But for the time being, any idea of why I haven't gotten it yet?

Hard to tell, but the IRS has been shorthanded for quite some time and that has delayed a lot of things related to paper returns.  As I remember, it took about half a year for me to recoup a small refund from my 2021 paper return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies