turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Imported 1099-B .TXF file - Can transactions be edited/deleted?

Since a brokerage account of mine was closed in 2023 I cannot import the many 1099-B transactions directly.  Fortunately, I have them all tracked in my own desktop financial software.  I exported those transactions as a .TXF and they imported into TT 2023 beautifully, except for the fact it added each lot purchase individually (FIFO cost basis) with respective purchase dates instead of the "various" and average listed on the 1099-B.  Even though my own data is more robust I want it to match the 1099-B, but trying to delete the extra transactions (after editing one to include all the sold shares) doesn't seem to be possible as it just keeps re-populating with junk transactions.

I've tried finding some workarounds, but considering how poorly designed the new transaction summary screen is with the weird unresponsive frame, and constant unstable screen refreshing I am loath to continue spending the time if it's all going to be re-populated with junk transactions again.  In that case I may as well forego the handy import from my own document and just manually type in 34 pages of transactions.

So can an imported 1099-B TFX normally be edited and is this a bug that needs to be fixed? I can't remember ever needing to import my own TXF so this is new to me.  Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

In previous years, a .txf file has been used to upload IRS form 1099-B information into TurboTax Desktop Premier version.

Follow these steps to import .txf file into TurboTax Desktop:   

File / Import / From Accounting Software / Other Financial Software (TXF) file /  Continue / Choose a File to Import / Import now.

The final transaction entries may be edited.

The entries will be found under Federal Taxes / Wages & Income / Investment Income / Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the reply.  I'm gathering it then must be a bug in the current 2023 TT Premier version, which I am using.  I ended up just typing everything manually because my workarounds were getting more and more time consuming (making a new dummy .txf for import, etc.) and error-prone.

Transactions can be edited but not deleted.  Deleting a transaction repopulates the forms AND easy-step dialog with a duplicate of the last transaction entered.  So, if my .TXF imports 38 transactions and I want to edit the first 2 and delete the other 36, upon save I will once again have 38 transactions, 37 of them will be the edited transaction #2.  Not sure if it's worth reporting this as it may be an edge case?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies