Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ihss

Hello,

so I am currently a ihss non live in for my mom. We don’t live together. My question is that I have been paying taxes for the last couple of years and I heard that you can exclude it as non taxable by a tax person. I never filled out a live in certification, but I wanted to know if that was a possibility. It s a big difference in owing. I made around 18k. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Ihss

No.  The income exclusion only applies to payments for care in the individual care provider's home where the care recipient lives under the recipient's plan of care.   See IRS Q & A   She would need to live with you in your home to qualify.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Ihss

Ok what could happens? I was just curious about it? I already done my taxes and owe 2600?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Ihss

If the income that you reported as taxable income on your 2023 Federal 1040 tax return should be reported as nontaxable, you will want to amend your 2023 Federal 1040 tax return and report the income as nontaxable.  See this TurboTax Help for instructions on how to report this income correctly.

After you are sure that your 2023 Federal 1040 tax return has been accepted and processed by the IRS, you are able to submit an amended tax return.

If your return has been transmitted and rejected by the IRS, you can correct your tax return and re-transmit.

If your return has been transmitted and accepted by the IRS, you will have to amend your Federal 1040 tax return.  However, before amending your tax return, do not enter the return and do not make any changes.

If you used TurboTax Online, log in to your account and select Amend a return that was filed and accepted.

If you used the CD/download product, sign back into your return and select Amend a filed return

See also this TurboTax Help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies