Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

patelrpn

Ihave a question regarding non qualified stock option excercise and did not receive form do i need to report this in my income?

I have excercised non-qualified stock option but did not receive for 3921 from my employer-

Do I need to included the gain in my taxable income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Ihave a question regarding non qualified stock option excercise and did not receive form do i need to report this in my income?

The exercise of a non-qualified option should not result in you receiving a Form 3921.  That form would be appropriate if this option was a statutory option, commonly referred to as an Incentive Stock Option (ISO). 

The simple exercise of a non-qualified stock option creates compensation calculated as:

(GROSS # of shares acquired at exercise) x (per share spread between "FMV" at exercise and exercise price).

and that compensation is included in your W-2.

It's not clear what you mean by "gain" here; I'm guessing that you sold the stock the same day you acquired it and did not receive a 1099-B for the sale.  (That guess is arising from your use of the word "gain" and "did not receive a form".)

If I've guessed accurately, then you really do not to do anything else.  Brokers are not required to issue a 1099-B for same day sales and without a 1099-B you have no reporting obligation.  You might want to report the sale anyway, telling TurboTax "no 1099-B was received" as a typical "same day" sale results in a small loss due to selling commissions and fees.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

1 Reply

The exercise of a non-qualified option should not result in you receiving a Form 3921.  That form would be appropriate if this option was a statutory option, commonly referred to as an Incentive Stock Option (ISO). 

The simple exercise of a non-qualified stock option creates compensation calculated as:

(GROSS # of shares acquired at exercise) x (per share spread between "FMV" at exercise and exercise price).

and that compensation is included in your W-2.

It's not clear what you mean by "gain" here; I'm guessing that you sold the stock the same day you acquired it and did not receive a 1099-B for the sale.  (That guess is arising from your use of the word "gain" and "did not receive a form".)

If I've guessed accurately, then you really do not to do anything else.  Brokers are not required to issue a 1099-B for same day sales and without a 1099-B you have no reporting obligation.  You might want to report the sale anyway, telling TurboTax "no 1099-B was received" as a typical "same day" sale results in a small loss due to selling commissions and fees.

Tom Young

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies