Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If my ex husband and I are separated and he has tried claiming me last year do i put yes to another taxpayer can claim me as a dependant on their tax return?

I haven't gotten my taxes in 4 years when me and my ex husband separated. We still haven't gotten a divorce and he claimed me and our child as dependents on his taxes the past 4 years but there was proof of living separate. I filed a identity theft advocate and still haven't received my taxes, would it help to say yes to the question "Another taxpayer can claim me as a dependent on their tax return?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

If my ex husband and I are separated and he has tried claiming me last year do i put yes to another taxpayer can claim me as a dependant on their tax return?

Based on what you've written I expect that he is filing Married Filing Jointly.  If that is the case, and you file a tax return claiming yourself as a dependent, it will stop the tax return process.

You may have to mail your tax return in because your Social Security Number will be flagged as a duplicate.  Once the IRS processes your mailed return you will both get a notice in the mail stating that your SSN was duplicated.  you will then be able to make your case for your separation.  The IRS will then make a determination regarding your tax filing status.

If you had taxable income, and you didn't get any of the refund you can file for "Innocent Spouse" status.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies