turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cberdejo

If I received steven thompson physician corps loan repayment this year, is there a place to put that or since it is not part of taxable income it is not placed in the tax returns? thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GeoffreyG

If I received steven thompson physician corps loan repayment this year, is there a place to put that or since it is not part of taxable income it is not placed in the tax returns? thank you

Hi cberdejo:

I must confess that I'd never heard of this specific program before.  Doing some research, however, I see that it is a non-profit program run in conjunction with the State of California's Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development.  Here is a link to the website I visited:

http://www.oshpd.ca.gov/hpef/Programs/STLRP.html

Basically, it appears this is a California government program designed to encourage physicians to live and work in underserved areas of the state.  For tax purposes, you do not need to report your payments received through this program on either your Federal or your California tax returns.  As you correctly surmise, because it is not taxable income, it need not be reported.  One analogous way to think of it is as though you were the recipient of a charitable gift.  In this case it is just a loan forgiveness gift administered through the state government.  Moreover, if I may take the liberty of expressing this sentiment, it seems to be for a very worthy cause.

Thank you for asking this thoughtful question, and good luck with your medical practice!

Regards

View solution in original post

1 Reply
GeoffreyG

Hi cberdejo:

I must confess that I'd never heard of this specific program before.  Doing some research, however, I see that it is a non-profit program run in conjunction with the State of California's Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development.  Here is a link to the website I visited:

http://www.oshpd.ca.gov/hpef/Programs/STLRP.html

Basically, it appears this is a California government program designed to encourage physicians to live and work in underserved areas of the state.  For tax purposes, you do not need to report your payments received through this program on either your Federal or your California tax returns.  As you correctly surmise, because it is not taxable income, it need not be reported.  One analogous way to think of it is as though you were the recipient of a charitable gift.  In this case it is just a loan forgiveness gift administered through the state government.  Moreover, if I may take the liberty of expressing this sentiment, it seems to be for a very worthy cause.

Thank you for asking this thoughtful question, and good luck with your medical practice!

Regards

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies