Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I need to update my citizenship status in Turbotax to lawful permanent resident (green card holder), how do I get to the Personal Info Summary screen?

When I go to the "My info" section in my nearly completed return, it doesn't give me this option, so I must be looking in the wrong place.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If I need to update my citizenship status in Turbotax to lawful permanent resident (green card holder), how do I get to the Personal Info Summary screen?

TurboTax doesn't ask your citizenship status. There is no place to enter it.

If you were a resident alien based on the substantial presence test, and you have now gotten a green card, it doesn't make any difference for tax purposes. You are still a resident alien. A resident alien is treated the same as a U.S. citizen for tax purposes, so TurboTax doesn't need to know whether you are a citizen or a resident alien.

If you were a nonresident alien, you should not have been using TurboTax. You should have filed Form 1040-NR, which TurboTax does not support.

If your status changed from nonresident alien to resident alien during the year, see the section on dual-status aliens in IRS Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies