turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

alaskanmm

If i made just over 80,000 dollars in 2016 can i write off my schooling for upgrading my us merchant mariners licesnse. My work doesn't require me to have upgraded

The Uscg aproved class cost 775 just for the class for four days. My work didn't require me to upgrade I did it on my own. It's not letting me write off any weather gear or any schooling. Why? I have acquired my license on my own and payed for it on my own before I even had a job and than I've upgraded last year. So I'm kinda unemployed for when I got my original license. And than I upgraded on my own when I was employed. But wasn't mandatory for my work.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If i made just over 80,000 dollars in 2016 can i write off my schooling for upgrading my us merchant mariners licesnse. My work doesn't require me to have upgraded

You can deduct training and education to maintain or improve your credentials for your current job/career but not the costs to qualify for a new job/career.

Also, these are miscellaneous deductions subject to the 2% rule, and you must itemize deductions. So even if you list them, you may not get a benefit.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You can deduct training and education to maintain or improve your credentials for your current job/career but not the costs to qualify for a new job/career.

Also, these are miscellaneous deductions subject to the 2% rule, and you must itemize deductions. So even if you list them, you may not get a benefit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies